Friday, June 15, 2007

Twilight + New Moon by Stephanie Meyer



I read both of these books in five days (both around or over 500 pages) if that is any indication as to how good they are. Bella, moves to Forks, Washington, a town she hates, to live with her father so that her mother can spend time with her new husband. As she settles into school and making new friends and turning away multiple advances from boys she ultimately falls for a mysterious classmate with amazing ability to save her life time and time again. Turns out he is a vampire. Their love is very passionate, but rocky as Edward Cullen tries to keep Bella safe from enemies and himself.

In the sequel New Moon, Bella and Edward are happy together at the beginning of a new school year other than the constant argument they have over whether she should be turned into a vampire. Edward refuses to let that happen though Bella is more than willing. A little accident that puts her life in danger, not from enemies but one of Edward's family drives him and his family away. Edward convinces Bella that he doesn't love her anymore and wants to keep her safe from any more harm so they leave, supposedly for forever. Driven to living a pathetic, sad life while she grieves for her loss, she is suddenly pulled out of her depression by a welcome voice and her new best friend Jacob Black, who soon becomes a little more than human as well.

Though I had been told by several of my friends how good this book, I just had no idea how good. I can't remember the last time, it pained to have to put a book down to go to sleep, or to work. Every page is filled with suspense and wonderment at how this relationship between a human and a vampire will work as well as all the action that takes place. The sequel isn't quite as good as Edward is gone for most of it and even though Jacob Black is a wonderful character he just isn't quite the substitute for the reader or for Bella either, but you make do as she does. Also, some of the surprises were a little predictable but I was able to get past that as there were other things to make me jump with a renewed verve for reading. I'm a little sad that it's over though I do have the third and final book to look forward to which comes out in August. Ugh, I have to wait two months. Seriously read these books. I'm feeling really into vampire stories right now. I think I'll read Dracula next.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved these books, too. Welcome to the club!

Framed said...

You have me convinced. I'll have to borrow these sometime. I just bookmooched Bram Stoker's Dracula so you can borrow it when I get it.

Cassie said...

Thanks Framed, but I already own it.

Framed said...

Great, my bookmooch got rejected so I'll have to borrow yours. It really hurt being rejected.

Booklogged said...

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't just rave about these books. I thought Twilight was okay, but nothing to get excited about. I'm wondering if my old, old age has anything to do with it. Daughter, K, loved them to death.