Monday, June 11, 2007

Austenland by Shannon Hale


This is a book after my own heart and pretty much anybody else who has ever read or seen Pride and Prejudice. It tells the story of a young woman, Jane, who has been disappointed in love many times which drove her to be comforted by watching Pride and Prejudice. She became obsessed with the idea that if a man couldn't compare to Mr. Darcy then he wasn't worth being with. She is ashamed of her obsession and so hides her DVDs in her houseplant. Found out by her aunt she is bequeathed a all expense paid vacation to Pembrook Park, where people go to pretend they live in 1816. Jane is going for therapy, to indulge in her obsession, to then be able to leave it behind. She soon becomes immersed in the period however, and finds herself falling for the Darcy-esque Mr. Nobley as well as the gardner.

I was worried as I began the book that I wouldn't like the story. That the way Jane is so obssessed about Pride and Prejudice seemed a little cheesy and unbelievable, but once she arrives at Pembrook Park and other characters are introduced the story becomes really fun. I laughed out loud several times, especially when modern day occurrences disturbed the serenity of Regency period living. I wouldn't mind going to Pembrook Park myself, especially if you are guaranteed that one of the handsome gentleman will fall in love with you.

5 comments:

Framed said...

I can't wait to read this. It sounds so good. And Hale is such a wonderful author. The laughing out loud part appeals to me as well.

Alyson said...

Great review. Maybe when I get around to writing my review, I'll just refer to your review and Katie's review. I think I'm behind 3 or four reviews now, I really need to get caught up.

Anonymous said...

I have this on reserve at the library if they ever get around to processing it. I almost bought it this weekend, but was afraid it would not be good. I may rethink that after reading your review.

Booklogged said...

Can't wait to read this one. Loved your review.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this author before, but it sounds great! Perfect summer reading - thanks for the review!