Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale


Wow, this book was cute. It left me wanting more at the end. I read it really quickly too. I finished it last night around one in the morning. The story is about a girl who lives in a mountain village and learns that she among other girls in the village must attend a princess academy. When the prince of the land is of age the priests divine which town the future princess must be chosen from and this time Mount Eskel is chosen. Because mountain people are somewhat uneducated and looked down by the lowlanders the academy is begun to turn the girls into proper, educated young ladies. After a year the prince will come and choose his bride from among the girls. Miri, who has never felt like she has added anything to the village since her father refuses to let her work in the quarry with everyone else, works really hard while enduring cruelty from her teacher to win the title of Academy Princess and get the first dance with the prince. During this process, Miri is outcast from the girls but soon makes new friends and learns what she wants to do with her life, but ultimately she must decide if she really wants to be a princess if she is chosen. I'm excited to read Shannon Hale's other books.

4 comments:

Framed said...

I'm so glad you liked this. I haven't read it yet, but I loved the Goose Girl trilogy. I just got Austenland as well.

Alyson said...

I haven't read this one yet, but if it's as good as Goose Girl, I'm sure I'll like it. I think I'm going to start reading Austenland (even if I don't really have the time) after my Calc test. It's not too long, so hopefully it won't get in the way of my studying.

I'm looking forward to dinner tonight. Wish it wasn't raining so hard though. I will bring your copy of Austenland with me (hopefull I don't forget).

Booklogged said...

I really liked Princess Academy as well. Can you believe that I have Austenland sitting right here and I haven't read it yet? I'm dying.

Cassie said...

I started reading Austenland last night and so far I'm a little disappointed but hopefully it will get better. It's quite a smaller book than I was expecting.