Monday, June 04, 2007

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

This was our May book for my book club. I had heard about this book many times but never felt the urge to read it. I'm glad it was chosen now. It was such a great read. Heartbreaking and redeeming. The writing style was so awesome. I plan on reading this book again someday and pick out all the great quotes that I just skimmed over this time. If you haven't read it you should.

"I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in
the winter of 1975." So begins The Kite Runner, a poignant tale of two
motherless boys growing up in Kabul, a city teetering on the brink of
destruction at the dawn of the Soviet invasion.
Despite their class
differences, Amir, the son of a wealthy businessman, and Hassan, his devoted
sidekick and the son of Amir's household servant, play together, cause mischief
together, and compete in the annual kite-fighting tournament -- Amir flying the
kite, and Hassan running down the kites they fell. But one day, Amir betrays
Hassan, and his betrayal grows increasingly devastating as their tale continues.
Amir will spend much of his life coming to terms with his initial and subsequent
acts of cowardice, and finally seek to make reparations.
Hosseini's
depiction of the cruelty children suffer at the hands of their "friends" will
break your heart. And his descriptions of Afghanistan both before and after the
war will haunt readers long after they've read the last page. The Kite Runner is
a stunning reminder that the dark hearts of adults are made, step-by-step, by
the hatred they learn as children, and that all it takes for evil to triumph is
for a good man to stand back and do nothing. --Barnes and Noble review.

3 comments:

Framed said...

I've heard so much about this book but haven't read it yet. I understand his second book is just as good. So did you buy the book and can I borrow it? How did the book club like it?

Cassie said...

Sure you can borrow it. Try to remind me to bring it to you. Everyone really liked it. I want to read his second book. I'll add that to the list.

Booklogged said...

This is also high on my list of favorites. I hope your book club decides to read Book Thief one of these months.