Tuesday, June 26, 2007

House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne



Go here for a synopsis of the book. I didn't actually read this book for the book club. I read it a while ago and reccommended my roommate read it also and she picked it for this month's bookclub book. Only three of us actually finished the book by the time of the meeting. The language of Hawthorne's writing was a bit of struggle to get into.

I am a big fan of Hawthorne and this is one of slower books. It takes almost 3/4 of the book settting up the exciting ending. I think most people will enjoy it once they lose themselves in the language. Hawthorne takes his time in order to get the reader to really care about the characters and you become so familiar with their mannerisms. Anyway, I liked this book and I think I may need to read it again after hearing it discussed and reading over some of my highlighted quotes. Unfortunately I don't have the book with me otherwise I would share some with you. You'll just have to trust me and pick up the book for yourself.

2 comments:

Framed said...

I'll keep this in mind in case there is another Classics challenge.

Booklogged said...

I was going to come right home from Boston and read this, but I didn't. One of these days...