Monday, January 19, 2009

#2 Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale


This is Shannon Hale's newest novel, I think, but I've had it for a while. I was a little worried to read it so soon after Enna Burning, even though they are completely unrelated, because I'm so used to to her writing style and I was a little bored with Enna Burning. There were moments of boredom and of course you can predict the end, not necessarily the means to the end which makes the story interesting.

I've decided not to synopises for the books I read because I figure you can look them up on Amazon or something for that if you find you want to read what I like. So anyway, Dashti is a good character, though loyal to a fault and I think somewhat stupid because honestly why would you think that the handsome khan who is kissing you, believing you are another is suddenly going to be okay to accept the real thing in your place. I just couldn't wrap my head around that logic but it was still cute. I liked the journal style writing, it made me think how fun it would be to write my journal like that. Like a story. Of course everything works out in the end. I was thinking most books are pretty predictable. The protaganist will almost always overcome his/her obstacles to a happy end, but I guess its how they get there is the interesting part. My friend thought Hunger games was so predictable because of course the main girl was going to win, but you don't know how she wins and I think that is the great challenge of writer to keep us interested in how they get to the predictable end.

2 comments:

Framed said...

I like the way Hale incorporates humor in her books. I always find something to laugh at.

Booklogged said...

I liked this one really well.