Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Other Boelyn Girl by Philippa Gregory


I read this book within a few days because I was trying to get it mostly read before I went to see the movie. I was really excited for the movie but thought I should read the book first. I am glad I did. The time of King Henry VIII and his daughter Elizabeth I is one of my favorite times in history to read about or watch movies about. This book deals with the two Boelyn sisters and their relationship with the king and each other and how depending on who is the favorite in the king's eyes must serve one another. One of them truly falls in love with the kind and the other convinces the king he is so in love with her that he will do anything to have her, even split the country apart.

The book goes into so much detail about life at court and how marriage vows mean very little if the king wants something. No one has a life of their own, especially if you're a girl, only the life the king wishes to grant you. It was very well told and so much better than the movie. I think if I hadn't read the book beforehand I might have been lost and the characters are very miscontrued from the book. So definitely check out the book. I think I might read Philippa Gregory's other books that deal with the first wife of King Henry VIII (The Constant Princess) and the book that follows the time after The Other Boelyn girl.

3 comments:

Booklogged said...

I felt the same way about the lowly regard for women in that time period. Of course, that's the way it has been and is for many women throughout time. We're fortunate, aren't we?

I like the Gregory books of this time period. It's been awhile since I read The Other Boelyn Girl so maybe I'll enjoy the movie more than you did.

Framed said...

The movie didn't sound all that great to me and I think I've read plenty of books about that time period. I may have to pass on this one. Too many others on the shelves.

Anonymous said...

You know this thing about books being turned into movies, i've always felt that the books are far better. There is greater description and one can imagine it as wildly as one wants. But with a movie you just watch another person's figment of imagination.
However, i recently finished reading the 4th book of The Chronicles of Narnia-Prince Caspian (i totally adore this series of fantasy books!!) and saw the trailer too since the movie is hitting the scenes this May 16th and for the first time, i thought from what i saw in the trailer, that this movie might just surpass the book! so watch the trailer and tell me what you think about it! I'm soo excited for the movie. Ben Branes is playing Prince Caspian!!