Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Samurai Garden by Gail Tsukiyama



This was our February book club book. I liked this book about a young chinese man who goes to live at a family beach house in Japan when the two countries on the verge of war to recover from TB. He befriends many people there including a leperous woman and learns a lot about his family and these people who accept him into their lives. This book was very peaceful to read. Even though there is a war going on in China, it never seems to really affect the characters other than a mention here or there. It's all about the main characters getting to know each other and it's nice. It's almost like reading an interesting story from a grandparent's journal.

2 comments:

Booklogged said...

Sounds good. I don't think I've heard of this book before.

Framed said...

I haven't heard of it either. But I think I will add it to the list. I haven't liked most Chinese books that I've read, but this one sounds good. Do you own it?