Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy


This was our December's book club book. This book was really interesting about a father and son traveling through a post-apocalyptic world trying to survive evil people, starvation and the cold. The book chronicles their journey to the sea and all the trials and horrors that they face along the way. The reader never finds out what happened to the world or even the characters' names, yet I was really drawn into their relationship and how much this father cares for his son and is willing to give up his own morality to protect him and keep him fed. I would recommend this book as an interesting read but would caution that it does allude to some pretty horrible things. It also sparked a great discussion on food storage in our book club and how we will all survive the apocalypse or disasters.

photo from BarnesandNoble.com

2 comments:

Booklogged said...

I've read other reviews on this one. Doesn't sound like one I like.

Framed said...

I still have "No Country For Old Men" which I can't bring myself to read. But I thought "All the Pretty Horses" was pretty good, just not something I would read again. It's been mooched off. I'm going to pass on "The Road."