Thursday, December 27, 2007

Dracula by Bram Stoker


The story of Dracula is a classic and has been told over and over again. Since I have always been quite enthralled with vampires, I thought it might be nice to read the classic story. I had enjoyed the movie when I was younger and was pretty sympathetic to Dracula then. However, the movie is very different from the book. He is not a sympathetic creature at all, but selfish, heartless and has no qualms about killing anyone. I would assume that most people know the basic story so I'm not going to give a synopsis. I thought the book was very well written. Slow at times and as the story is told through reading character's diaries and correspondence it is sometimes hard to keep the time frame together but you get used to it eventually. The male characters are all very noble and good and have high admiration for the women in their lives. Mina, who gets bitten by the vampire tries to help all she can even though she is struggling with changing into a vampire and all the guys are dedicated to destroying Dracula and risking their own lives to save her as they were unable to save their own love, Lucy. I highly reccommend this book and now having seen the movie again since I've read it, I'm not sure how I ever liked it. Okay I know how but, it has definitely fallen in my esteem now that I know how the true story was told and how much it deviated from it and even made the characters so much less likeable.

3 comments:

Framed said...

Great review. I'm glad you liked it. Did you have a problem understanding some of the dialects Stoke used? Anyway, I thought it was a good, scary, novel.

Anonymous said...

This is one of those books that I can't remember if I've read it or not. So sad. Since you like vampires, have you read The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer?

Booklogged said...

I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this book.