Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne


I don't really have to much to say about this book because I feel like I have talked until I was blue in the face. It was interesting to read, but I wasn't very motivated to read it. Probably the stigma I have for self-help books. Don't ask me to explain where the stigma comes from, I've talked until I was blue in the face about that as well. But after much prodding, I finished it. Basically the secret is "The Law of Attraction." Positive thoughts attract positive things into our lives. If you really focus on what you want in life in a positive way then you will attract it to you. I agree that having positive thoughts will make your life happy, but as far as just bringing stuff to you, I don't know. I'm trying to apply its teachings and not think negatively but I'm still a little skeptical so I'll probably never find out if it really works.

Anyway since this book is so widespread and popular, I'm sure you all will read it and come up with your own conclusions. My book club for the most part liked it but had the same concerns that some people might take everything in this book for fact and not be able to discern what is the good and what is the bad. We also felt there was a definite implication of needing to be selfish in order to apply these principles. Anyway, I now have read a self-help book cover to cover and I may never read another one or I may. You could say the book I am reading right now is a self-help book but I'm not looking at it like that.

4 comments:

Booklogged said...

I definitely think the law of attraction works and I don't think you need to be selfish for it to work. But I'm glad you're through with it.

Framed said...

I believe it talks about being well-rounded in your positivity, health, mental and financially. So people who only concentrate on money and possessions have missed the big point. But I think that's what sells the book. I haven't been very positive lately myself. It's hard work. But my vision board mostly contains spiritual and mental goods. What category does traveling fall into?

Cassie said...

I would think it would be mental.

. Ruz . said...

Itz main focus is on the Law of Attraction;you want it,believe that u can have it...then u'll attract it to u. hmm...i did a lil review on this book. Feel free to drop by. ;) http://ruzbookshelves.blogspot.com/2009/02/secret-by-rhonda-byrne.html