Saturday, July 05, 2008

Quick post on past books I've read

Martin Eden by Jack London: I really liked the style of writing of Jack London. However, this book was quite long and somewhat depressing where the lead character toils away on his dream of becoming a writer. Sometimes to the point of extreme poverty. I found myself on the side of his friends and family who just wished he would take a normal job and give up after he had given it a good go. I was probably wrong in this feeling but I'm a lot more practical than artist types.

Boy, Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl: This autobiography of Roald Dahl's childhood was really entertaining to read. It was like reading any of his other stories and it was great to pick out where his ideas for books like Charlie and the Chocolate factory came from. I reccommend this book very much if you have read and enjoyed Roald Dahl's other books.

Danny, Champion of the World: I read this after the biography which I think made the book even more fun as I could see where the ideas had come from. Danny lives with his father in an old train car. His dad owns and operates an auto shop but secretly at night goes off and poaches pheasants on the richest man in town's property. Lots of fun shenanigans go on with this secret and how the whole town is involved. Really fun from one of Dahl's lessor known books.

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger: This book is about a small family whose oldest son is in trouble for murder but they all back him as it was somewhat justifiable. They pack up into the airstream to follow after him once he escapes. Lots of things work out for them to aid them in their chase which seems to come from some spiritual power that the dad holds. It was a really engrossing book I think once you get into it. It has laughs and tears, more on the tears side but so good. I recommend it.

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume: This is on the verge of a trashy romance novel. The girl who picked this for our book club hadn't read it so didn't know it was about what it was about. The story wasn't too bad. It's about two girls who are friends over the summer. One is shy and insecure and the other is confidant and mischievious. The story starts from when they are eleven to adulthood and how they discover their bodies and sex. There are definitely a wide range of characters, to an incestuous feeling brother to selfish and criticizing mother. You could probably skip this if you want.

4 comments:

Framed said...

I thought Summer Sisters was very trashy except I liked the ending. I would love to read Danny and Peace some day. Do you have my copy of Peace?

Cassie said...

I may, but I thought I had bought my own. If you can't find yours then I'll give you the one I have.

Liz said...

I so laughed when I read your comments about "Summer Sisters," as it was pretty much my own, after I read it several years ago. (Then again, I think Judy Blume is pretty overrated, in any case.)

I've been reading a few different things -- trying to get into "The Book Thief" for a book club," and listening to Kathy Reichs' Temperence Brennan (I think that's the heroine's name) series, which I'm really enjoying. And I just finished 3 aces by Richard Ide. It's romance at its heart, with a reclusive Viet vet hero who enjoys his solitary life as a trucker, and a Texas Hold 'Em-playing heroine who meet up. Throw in a gang of card sharks and a globalist trucking company owner and it makes for a suspenseful, but romantic book.

Framed said...

Turns out Grandma had my copy. She's such a sneak.:)