Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne


Another gem by Hawthorne. I wasn't too excited to read this book but it seemed small and I figured I could use it as a filler inbetween books. I had seen the movie and figured I would know pretty much everything. Well I did know the main things but the book is so different. It all takes place after the adultery has occurred and the heartache that Hester Prynne has to go through to remain in her town and raise her illegitimate child.

This book was really moving and I love the way Hawthorne writes. I loved the dichotomy of seeing how one person deals with sin that is completely exposed to the world and how another deals with it where it is hidden. There is so much emotion in this book and I found myself relating to both characters, not their sin of course but to their agony when I have sinned. Really good book and definitely a classic.

Quotes:

This is when the minister is dealing with his pain in hiding his sin. "It is the unspeakable misery of a life so false as his, that it steals the pith and substance out of whatever realities there are around us, and which were meant by heaven to be the spirit's joy and nutriment. To the untrue man, the whole universe is false,--it is impalable,--it shrinks to nothing within his grasp. And he himself, in so far as he shows himself in a false light, becomes a shadow, or, indeed ceases to exist."

This is during the part where Hester and the Minister are expressing their love for each other after seven years of silence and the gloom of the forest is beginning to brighten by the sun. "Love, whether newly born, or aroused from a deathlike slumber, must always create a sunshine, filling the heart so full of radiance, that it overflows upon the outward world."

"Be true! Be true! Be true! Show freely to the world, if not your worst, yet some trait whereby the worst may be inferred!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this in high school, an didn't like it very much. Maybe I should read it again.

Booklogged said...

I think I read this in high school, too. Or maybe it was my first year in college. I loved it and remember feeling extremely sorry for the woman. You have pulled out a couple of really good quotes.

I want to read I Capture the Castle. Hope you enjoy it.

Framed said...

I've never read this. And I don't want to but you make it sound so good. Great quotes. The problem is, will I picture it with Demi Moore and Gary Oldham?

Cassie said...

I kind of did at first but since the book is really different from the movie it went away. Gary Oldham plays a much more stronger minister than the one in the book is portrayed.

Anonymous said...

I really like the book Scarlet Letter, I may say better than the movie. This is written by one of my fav author, Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Hawthorne is one of the most substantial writers of his time. He was known for his ability to create such a compelling story in just a few pages. Stories that have such complexity that he seems to create his own romantic style - by adding in many different situations that keep the reader in-tuned to his novels.