Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


Well, this wouldn't be a book club book without a little controversy now would it. Most people started reading this book but only a few actually finished. My roommate for one couldn't get passed the creep factor that set in in the first few chapters, which was the same for the others as well. I admit that I felt it too but pushed on through.

The story is told by a 14 year old girl, Susie, while she is in heaven looking down on earth. She was raped and murdered by a man who lived in her neighborhood and you come to find that she was not the first nor the last. (Enter in the creep factor) Susie watches her family and friends as well as others from heaven and sees how they deal with her death. She is constantly worrying about them and wanting to help them through their grief. The book spans about a 10 year period and shows how Susie's death changed the lives of everyone who knew her. Her family is torn apart. The killer escapes. Two of her classmates form an unlikely bond. Will they all be able to let go of the pain and be able to reconnect with each other?

Well, I didn't dive too deep into this book. It was an interesting story. My bookclub discussion was completely different. Instead of focusing on the dark and sad things of the book we focused on the aspects of heaven and how we think heaven will really be like. Then it sort of turned into a discussion of ghosts and what not but still it made me look at the book differently. We touched briefly on the relationships of the characters. I don't know that this was a favorite of the book club. It didn't seem to elicit as much discussion as we have had for other books. I don't necessarily think it is a must read. There are some pretty weird parts in it and I don't really like the style of writing. And no good quotes.

4 comments:

Framed said...

Well, it sounds interesting if not compelling. I'll leave it on my list just in case I get around to it. I think that's the first time I've read all of the "How do I love thee" poem. It's very pretty and so romantic.

Booklogged said...

I was recommended this book by a friend who works at the library. As I read I kept wondering about her taste in literature. I didn't know anything about the book. I quite often don't read the book flap because I don't want to know too much - I want to find out for myself. It was puzzling at first. By the end I was in love with the book and couldn't quit thinking about it for weeks afterwards. I would recommend it as a very provacative story with a well-resolved ending. The 'creep' factor was not that creepy to read about, I didn't think.

Sure enjoy your reviews and discussing books with you. Because of your stimulating review, I am rereading, you heard correctly, rereading Screwtape Letters.

Booklogged said...

Oh, good grief! Just reread your review and comments made about 'Screwtape Letters'. I already told you that I had started to reread it. That darn Wormwood (or whatever my tempters name is) sure does well at confusing my brain.

I wished I would have thought to write down all the names C.S. Lewis gave to the little devils he talked about. So clever.

Alyson said...

I thought this book looked interesting, so I was disappointed to read that you didn't like it much. It's not on my too read list, but I was thinking about adding it. After reading booklogged's comment, I think I still might. Of course, I don't think I'll be reading much after I start school again :(