Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan


Oh my gosh this book was really good. Its another one that makes you wonder if the story being told is true. I don't know why but for some reason my book club loves books like that. Anyway this book is about an older woman, early fifties, who is invited on a walkabout (walking barefoot across 1400 miles of rugged terrain) with the last true Aborigine tribe in Australia. Its kind of a shock to her that she goes and she endures many hardships, most of which is amazing. She learns so much about these people and what they think of the outside world and "the mutants" as they call her and us. The longer she is with them (a total of four months) she understands the beauty of how people can be without judgment or greed.

This book gives great insights into society roles and how to value people. In this tribe everyone has a talent and it is used at the right time and celebrated. In this group they do not celebrate birthdays because getting older is not an accomplishment. They celebrate getting better and the person who has grown better announces when he or she wants to have celebration. Also, the importance of understanding our own bodies. That emotion and physical wellness go hand in hand.

I reccommend this book to everyone. It is a quick read. I read it in a day. Now for my favorite part the quotes section:

She explains to the tribe several things about our culture such as gravy and they always find symbolism in it.
"Instead of living the truth, Mutants allow circumstances and conditions to bury universal law under a mixture of convenience, materilism and insecurity."

Symbolism of Frosting
"It seemed to symbolize how much time, in the one-hundred-year Mutant life span, is spent in artificial, superficial, temporary, decorative, sweetened pursuits. So very few actual moments of one's life are spent discovering who we are, and our eternal beingness."

"Why can't Mutants see, if my song makes one person happy, it is a good job? You help one person, good job. Can only help one at a time anyway."

"People are nonliving when angry, depressed, feeling sorry for themselves, or filled with fear. Breathing doesn't determine being alive. I just tells others which body is ready for burial or not!"

There are tons more that I loved. There is pretty much something good on every page. So everyone read it.

5 comments:

Framed said...

It's now on my list. Did you buy it or check it out. If bought, bring it out to Vernal sometime. Great review.

Booklogged said...

I've added it to my list, too. Sounds really good.

Booklogged said...

I forgot to mention that I enjoyed your review. I often wonder where authors come up with such interesting titles. The quotes hint to the meaning of the title. I may have to buy this one - I suspect I'll want to use a highlighter while I read.

Cassie said...

You definitely will need a highlighter. I borrowed my roommates copy and it was hard not to be able to mark it up. I need to buy my own copy.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Cassie

First time visitor to your blog and I popped over to wish you a Happy Birthday after I saw a post on Framed's blog. Hope you had a wonderful day!

I have a copy of this book and now, finally, I am intrigued enough to read it. Thank you!